Viljoen's Praise & Prayer Information
- For God’s daily guidance, grace and love. It is such a privilege to walk with Jesus and reveal His “presence” each day to other people!
- For all of you who are are praying for us and supporting us!
- Dale has been able to come off all pain medication for upper and lower back pain. Dale had his OMF medical the last week of December and received an excellent report.
- For the people who are currently in Bible studies at Sapporo Central Church.
- For an ongoing sense that God is doing “a new thing” in Hokkaido.
- Two great visits from Dale's two sons who live in Africa.
- Jesus blessing us with renewed and improved health.
- Karen is enjoying meeting the members that she is praying for / pastoring as part of her role on the Hokkaido Sector Leadership Team.
- We had a very good All Hokkaido Pastors' Conference in October with 150 pastors and Christian workers attending. (Dale took the photos.)
- Pre-marital counseling times are very special with the couples Dale "marries!"
- Praise that our OMF support for 2017 is 100%! Thank you!!
- May the many not-yet-following-Jesus people who attended Christmas meetings and a special health outreach meeting have the faith and courage to follow the Lord.
- Pray for Mrs. "Brushwood Field's" health to be protected and that she would clearly believe in Jesus. Our contact with her has been reduced due to her many visits to doctors.
- Pastor Ozawa lectures at the Hokkaido Bible Institute, serves on the main HBI committee that oversees the courses, and of course is busy pastoring at Sapporo Central Church. Pray for grace, wisdom and strength.
- Please pray for the elderly and frail in the church.
- One lady's baptism needed to be postponed for heath reasons. Pray that this baptism would take place shortly.
- We are seeing around 50-55 people at the Sunday Worship Service (which is above the average of 35 people / church). Pray for God’s Spirit to continue to work, and for Jesus to be lifted high to be seen, understood and accepted.
- Michael and Haruhi Widmer are also OMF workers who attend Chuo Church. Michael and Haruhi teach at the Hokkaido Bible Institute and Haruhi is also involved with giving language advice at OMF's Language and Culture Center.
- Chris Pain and his wife, Kesia, have taken over as the new OMF Japan Field Director (following on David Ferguson's deathl) from December. A new Hokkaido Sector Leader has been appointed and will start this role in March 2018. Pray for all of us during these transitions.
- Dale has been asked to preach once a month at Wakaba Church (in Ishikari city which is just north of Sapporo), currently without a pastor. Pray for this church and for Dale as he preaches on January 14th, February 11th, March 18th. Dale will also preach at Nayoro Grace Church on March 11th (pray for protection as Dale drives 4 hours on icy and snow packed roads).
- Karen is heading up the planning committee for the Hokkaido Christian Women's Day conference on March 10th.
- Because of the devaluation of the South African Rand and the home-call of some of our supporters we are looking to God to provide more supporters so that our support can continue to be 100%.
- Karen continues to orientate new Serve Asia workers, serve on the Hokkaido Sector Leadership Team, and leads other committees.
- Karen is really busy planning for and processing new Short Term Workers for Hokkaido.
- Please pray for the family of 17 year old M who passed away after her cancer spread. Also pray for the Ferguson family as they experience their first Christmas and New Year without David. Grief and loss are experienced differently by each person…
- More intercessors for Japan and for ourselves is a crucial prayer request!
- We are taking some extra days off in January 2018 — pray for refreshment and renewal as we face another busy year.
- Wedding ministry is a wonderful opportunity to interact with Japanese couples at a deep heart-level!
- Please pray for the concept of “grace” to be rediscovered in the Japanese (and Western) church.
- Please continue to pray for God to guide and provide for Peter in Hokkaido, and to protect Dale's other two sons in South Africa.
more information for long-term prayer
- Our basic ministry is to support the Japanese pastor and his wife who are doing a tremendous job (grace filled preaching, teaching and living). This couple face some challenges and criticism because of their willingness to accept and preach the Gospel to anyone. We believe that our past experiences really prepared us to be able to sympathise with and encourage Pastor and Mrs. Ozawa.
- Karen leads the service once a month; takes part in the mid-week ladies meeting and does evangelistic events.
- Dale meets with the pastor and preaches occasionally.
- We both seek to encourage, counsel and help the church members "behind the scene" as much as possible so as to enable the Pastor to be clearly seen as the leader.
- Karen is the Serve Asia / Hokkaido Regional co-ordinator. Her role has now expanded to having direct contact with the sending countries.
- Karen serves on the OMF Hokkaido Sector Leadership Team, along with the team leader and his wife and three others.
- Dale serves as the OMF representative on Hocmin, an interdenominational group that seeks to build up churches in Hokkaido. Hocmin was very involved with ministering to the Iwate area after the 2011 tsunami and now is networking with and training pastors in Hokkaido in order to respond to a “local” disaster that may occur.
- Dale also serves on the Samariyakai Board. The Samariyakai was started by OMF about 38 years ago as an alcoholic live-in recovery and rehabilitation centre and is now under Japanese leadership.
- Dale serves on the Keswick Convention preparation meeting.
- Dale preaches at other Japanese churches as needed to enable Japanese pastors to get rest or to take other speaking opportunities.
- Wedding ministry — Dale. This involves conducting weddings with the opportunity to speak about the Living Creator God who through Jesus reveals and gives us His love. 99.9% of all in the congregations have never heard this! This ministry is loosely linked to Chuo Church, and we seek to link the couples to Chuo Church and other churches.
- Counselling non-Christian couples.
- Evangelising the couples at Christmas time and with New Year cards and Christmas evangelistic presents.
- Both of us: opportunities encouraging other foreigners and missionaries.
Chuo Church = Sapporo Chuo (Central) Evangelical Christian Church
JECA = Japanese Evangelical Church Association
TCK = Third Cultural Kid
PTL = Praise the Lord!
US = United States of America
SA = South Africa
12 ways to focus our prayers for revival in japan
1 Workers for the Harvest Field
Lord, raise up missionaries, pastors, evangelists, lay leaders, witnesses in the workplace.
2 Unity and Cooperation
Lord, may churches work together, seek to overcome differences, love one another.
3 Equipped for Battle
Lord, help your people to fight with spiritual armour and shine as lights in the darkness.
4 OMF Japan
Lord, show us clearly what we should be and do as we are here ‘for such a time as this.’
5 Spiritual Vitality
Lord, may your people worship you joyfully, serve you wholeheartedly, witness boldly.
6 Pastors and Churches
Lord, encourage and envision pastors; may churches overflow with love, joy and hope.
Lord, may whole families believe in Jesus, from small children to elderly grandparents.
8 The Political Scene
Lord, grant restraint to leaders and strengthen believers to stand firm when it gets tough.
Lord, purify your church, help your people to live holy lives and deal with secret sins.
10 Evangelism and Discipleship
Lord, may your people be built up in their faith and have a passion to proclaim the gospel.
11 Tohoku Vision 2015: to see 30 workers in Tohoku
Lord, have mercy on Tohoku, provide the needed workers and bring many to know Jesus.
12 Repentance, Renewal, Revival!
Lord, bring many to repentance, renew your people and revive your church.
"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."
To walk with the Living God,
glorifying Him each day as we reveal
His love and grace.