Viljoen's Praise & Prayer Information
- For God’s daily guidance, grace and love. It is such a privilege to walk with Jesus and reveal His “presence” each day to other people!
- For all of you who are are praying for us and supporting us!
- We are so grateful to Jesus that Karen was able to fly out of New Chitose Airport (Sapporo) September 5th, between the huge typhoon and massive earthquake, to be with her sick dad and help her mom in Turlock, California.
- Dad Harless peacefully went to heaven on October 1st, only four days after receiving home hospice care. We are so grateful for how God worked in so many big and small ways. The Harless home in Turlock was also sold after being on the market for only two days! The funeral/memorial service was held on Sunday, October 7.
- For safety during the typhoon (that blew down fourteen 15+ meter trees in the small park in front of our apartment), and during the massive earthquake that killed 41 people and outed all the power throughout Hokkaido.
- For a good annual HOCMIN (Hokkaido Christian Mission Network) luncheon in September. (Dale helped plan this and took the photos.)
- That Dale was able to be trained as a CernySmith Assessment member care counsellor in September.
- Dale is encouraged by the response of the couples he “marries” and the sermons he preaches at two pastor-less churches.
- For the people who are currently in Bible studies at Sapporo Central Church.
- For an ongoing sense that God is doing “a new thing” in Hokkaido.
- That we were able to visit Karen’s parents in California for 7 days in July to celebrate Dad’s 80th birthday and their 56th wedding anniversary. The is especially relevant in light of Dad Harless’ home-call.
- Jesus continues to bless us with renewed and improved health. We are so grateful to God for providing financially so that we could to go visit Karen’s parents in California.
- Karen enjoys meeting the members that she is praying for / pastoring as part of her role on the Hokkaido Sector Leadership Team.
- We had two very good prayer team journeys this summer — besides Karen coordinating these, we participated with the USA prayer team.
- Praise that our current OMF support is exactly 100%! Thank you!!
- May the many not-yet-following-Jesus people who are in some way connected to Central Church have the faith and courage to follow the Lord.
- Pray for the church people in the wake of the Hokkaido Eastern Iburi earthquake - some have been hurt and are fearful during the recurring aftershocks (especially the elderly), others have family members who needed housing.
- We have not had much contact with aging Mrs. "Brushwood Field’.” May she come to know Jesus’ love, grace and forgiveness. Our contact with her has been reduced due to her many visits to doctors.
- Pastor Ozawa lectures at the Hokkaido Bible Institute, serves on the main HBI committee that oversees the courses, and of course is busy pastoring at Sapporo Central Church. Pray for grace, wisdom and strength.
- Please pray for the elderly and frail in the church. Especially remember Mrs R as she struggles with cancer.
- Due to family illnesses and people being transferred outside Hokkaido, the number of worshippers at the Sunday Worship Service has dropped to around 45. Pray for God’s Spirit to continue to work, and for Jesus to be lifted high to be seen, understood and accepted.
- Michael and Haruhi Widmer are also OMF workers who attend Chuo Church. Michael and Haruhi teach at the Hokkaido Bible Institute and Haruhi is also involved with giving language advice at OMF's Language and Culture Center.
- Karen is helping her mom move from Turlock (California) to San Diego (about 700 km) 18-19 October, and will return to Sapporo October 25.
- Please pray for all those in Karen’s family who are grieving the loss of their husband, father and grandfather in California!
- Dale will go to South Africa (by himself) for six weeks (mid-October through November) for mobilization and partner development (i.e. to thank you for praying and supporting!). Please pray for good meetings and interactions.
- Karen and Dale will be apart for about three months, meeting up again in Sapporo November 29. (Karen needed to extend her Compassionate Leave due to her father’s passing.)
- Please pray for the relief work that is taking place in Hokkaido after the earthquake. HOCMIN has a major role in this.
- Samuel Figilister and his wife, Tina, have taken over as the new OMF Hokkaido Sector Leader. Pray for them and for Karen as she serves on the Hokkaido Sector Leadership Team.
- Dale has been asked to preach once a month at Wakaba Church (in Ishikari city which is just north of Sapporo), currently without a pastor. He also preaches at another pastor-less church outside Sapporo.
- Many of our colleagues and supporters are struggling with major illness, and some have died. Ask God to help us continue to faithfully pray for those undergoing severe trial and for the families in their loss.
- Karen as Serve Japan Coordinator for Hokkaido, continues to plan for and process new Short Term Workers. (Unfortunately Karen was not able to attend the week-long OMF Serve Asia Singapore Consultation due to her father’s home-call.)
- More intercessors (for Japan and for ourselves) is a crucial prayer request!
- Wedding ministry is a wonderful opportunity to interact with Japanese couples at a deep heart-level!
- Please pray for the concept of “grace” to be rediscovered in the Japanese (and Western) church.
- Please continue to pray for God to guide and provide for Peter in Hokkaido (Peter is recovering well from a torn Achilles tendon), and to protect Dale's other two sons. Luke is exploring South America.
- Pray that God will continue to meet our personal financial needs.
more information for long-term prayer
- Our basic ministry is to support the Japanese pastor and his wife (Pastor and Mrs. Ozawa) who are doing a tremendous job - grace filled preaching, teaching and living.
- Karen leads the service once a month; takes part in the mid-week ladies meeting and does evangelistic events.
- Dale meets with the pastor and preaches occasionally.
- We both seek to encourage, counsel and help the church members "behind the scene" as much as possible so as to enable the Pastor to be clearly seen as the leader.
- Karen is the Serve Japan Co-ordinator for Hokkaido. Her role has now expanded to having direct contact with the sending countries.
- Karen serves on the OMF Hokkaido Sector Leadership Team, along with the team leader and his wife and three others.
- Dale serves as the OMF representative on Hocmin, an interdenominational group that seeks to build up churches in Hokkaido. Hocmin was very involved with ministering to the Iwate area after the 2011 tsunami and now is networking with and training pastors in Hokkaido in order to respond to a “local” disaster that may occur.
- Dale also serves on the Samariyakai Board. The Samariyakai was started by OMF about 38 years ago as an alcoholic live-in recovery and rehabilitation centre and is now under Japanese leadership.
- Dale serves on the Keswick Convention preparation meetings.
- Dale preaches at other Japanese churches as needed to enable Japanese pastors to get rest or to take other speaking opportunities.
- Wedding ministry — Dale. This involves conducting weddings with the opportunity to speak about the Living Creator God who through Jesus reveals and gives us His love. 99.9% of all in the congregations have never heard this! This ministry is loosely linked to Chuo Church, and we seek to link the couples to Chuo Church and other churches.
- Counselling non-Christian couples.
- Evangelising the couples at Christmas time and with New Year cards and Christmas evangelistic presents.
- Both of us: opportunities encouraging other foreigners and missionaries.
Chuo Church = Sapporo Chuo (Central) Evangelical Christian Church
JECA = Japanese Evangelical Church Association
HOCMIN = Hokkaido Christian Mission Network
TCK = Third Cultural Kid
PTL = Praise the Lord!
US = United States of America
SA = South Africa
12 ways to focus our prayers for revival in japan
1 Workers for the Harvest Field
Lord, raise up missionaries, pastors, evangelists, lay leaders, witnesses in the workplace.
2 Unity and Cooperation
Lord, may churches work together, seek to overcome differences, love one another.
3 Equipped for Battle
Lord, help your people to fight with spiritual armour and shine as lights in the darkness.
4 OMF Japan
Lord, show us clearly what we should be and do as we are here ‘for such a time as this.’
5 Spiritual Vitality
Lord, may your people worship you joyfully, serve you wholeheartedly, witness boldly.
6 Pastors and Churches
Lord, encourage and envision pastors; may churches overflow with love, joy and hope.
Lord, may whole families believe in Jesus, from small children to elderly grandparents.
8 The Political Scene
Lord, grant restraint to leaders and strengthen believers to stand firm when it gets tough.
Lord, purify your church, help your people to live holy lives and deal with secret sins.
10 Evangelism and Discipleship
Lord, may your people be built up in their faith and have a passion to proclaim the gospel.
11 Tohoku Vision 2015: to see 30 workers in Tohoku
Lord, have mercy on Tohoku, provide the needed workers and bring many to know Jesus.
12 Repentance, Renewal, Revival!
Lord, bring many to repentance, renew your people and revive your church.
"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."
To walk with the Living God,
glorifying Him each day as we reveal
His love and grace.